August 25, 2019, 08:17:07 PM *
News: WELCOME TO THE NEW ARCHIVE SITE. This contains all forum data from 2004 to July 2013

Home   Help Search Donate Login  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HDMI Cable and Conduit  (Read 971 times)
Father Ted
Site Member

Ignore
« on: June 29, 2013, 10:29:28 AM »

What width is standard electrical conduit used in homes?  I've got to purchase a HDMI cable to be fed up about a metre of white electrical conduit from under a fireplace to above where the TV rests.

I need to make sure that the HDMI cable can be fed up through.

I thought the diameter was 20mm, but I can't be sure - does anyone know?

I was thinking of getting one of these items if it would work: />
Although from google, i'm not sure that that particular cable is available here yet.  I should also add that there is a power lead and potenitally a coax cable in the conduit as well, but the coax is to be replaced by the HDMI - no point putting in HD capability and leaving the feed as coax.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 10:56:42 AM by Father Ted » Logged
Coyote
Site Member

Please..............................

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 11:04:50 AM »

What width is standard electrical conduit used in homes?  I've got to purchase a HDMI cable to be fed up about a metre of white electrical conduit from under a fireplace to above where the TV rests.

I need to make sure that the HDMI cable can be fed up through.

I thought the diameter was 20mm, but I can't be sure - does anyone know?

I was thinking of getting one of these items if it would work: />

You quote a thin cable there but that does not matter, it is the connectors that set the marker as they are the thing you have to feed up. I found the cable with the smallest connector casing when I did mine.
The max length of hdmi is 12m as I have now found out.

You can get mini hdmi connectors on tablets or similar these days, I guess one of those would be good if you can get a convertor or even if you cab get on longer than 250mm which I doubt but you never know.

Father Ted
Site Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 08:43:45 PM »

Hi,

The connectors quoted are quite thin compared to std HDMI connectors.  In the link the connector has 15mm x 5mm cross section.  For my purpose the thickness of the cable is secondary.

I did look at using a HDMI to micro HDMI (Type D) cable with and adaptor on one end but thought the above would be a neater solution rather than using a connector.  However, it seems difficult to obtain this in the UK, so this may be the only option.
bigvin666
Site Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 09:49:57 AM »

I had the same problem and used mini Hdmi with step up to full Hdmi it works just fine and doesn't take up too much extra room from the back of the tv etc
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: